Beautiful themes, your own colors, unlimited!
zonColor themes example variants. Make your own!
zonColor Themes Pack 1.1
zonColor Themes Pack is a complete set of simple yet beautiful, elegant themes for Ubuntu and other GTK-based Linux desktop, aimed to bring freedom in theme customizations particularly color customizations so that users can easily use/apply their very own color combination/color palette/color scheme for the themes.
zonColor is more than just a theme collection; the themes are more like theme templates. They have been designed with customization in mind especially their colors. zonColor themes are using flexible color definitions that can be changed and applied easily without having to modify theme codes/materials directly.
Not only the color of basic/common items (such as base, bg, or selected item in GTK themes and folder icons in icon themes), color definition can be assigned separately for many specific theme's elements/icon types, such as the header, menubar, etc in GTK themes, and/or action folders, display/monitor type icons, etc in icon themes, and also the color of wallpaper image!
Color is a special aspect which is one of the most important element of a theme that "define" the theme; changing its colors can bring a totally different experience when using it. And also, color is about personal taste and mood; a beatiful color for one (at a time) doesn't always give the same feel for others (and/or at another time). Users should be able to use their colors for themes, easily, if they want.
If users don't bother to customize, they can simply use any themes provided (and/or switch between them), which are beautiful (according to me/the author of course).
zonColor icon-themes example variants.
zonColor wallpapers example variants.
Currently, GTK themes, icon themes, wallpapers, theme-sets (metatheme - mix-and-match of theme components) and some other theme-related utilities are provided in this pack.
Basically, zonColor themes (GTK-themes, icons, cursors, wallpapers) support GTK-based sessions. As for zonColor app, it may come with limitations in some desktop sessions/environments.
- GNOME-based desktop (e.g. Unity, GNOME 3 Shell/Classic, Cinnamon, GNOME 2, MATE, Pantheon) are fully supported by both zonColor themes and app/script.
- Xfce desktop session are supported by themes and for enabling config using zonColor app. Custom GTK-color-scheme works on latest version of Xfce 4.10 (as in Xubuntu 12.10), but not in earlier versions (such as Xfce 4.8 in Xubuntu 12.04). But don't worry, you can choose a GTK theme available in this pack which each of them use different predefined color scheme.
- LXDE desktop can use the themes, but cannot enable config using zonColor app; you have to use built-in appearance preferences utility on your system (e.g. LxAppearance) to use/enable a theme.
- Other desktop environment may or may not be supported.
For GTK-ThemesIf you are using Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10 (Unity), Linux Mint 13 or 14 (Cinnamon/Mate), you can just use the themes without having to install additional packages.
- GTK engines:
- GTK 3.4+ (for GTK3 apps/GNOME3-based desktop e.g. Ubuntu 12.04+)
- GTK 2.20+ (for GTK2 apps/GNOME2-based desktop e.g. Ubuntu 10.04)
- Murrine 0.98.1+ and Pixbuf 2.20+ GTK2 engines (for GTK 2 apps)
- Optional: Unico GTK3-engine
sudo apt-get install gtk2-engines-murrine gtk2-engines-pixbuf gtk3-engines-unico
- Window decorator:
- Metacity (or Mutter/Muffin/Marco/Gala) or Xfwm, or Openbox
For GNOME Shell Themes
- "user-theme" GNOME Shell extension
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell-extensionsOr install via this webpage:
After installing "user-themes' extension from the GNOME website, you may also need to setup its "schema file". Read more here:
For Generating Icon/Wallpaper Color Variants (Recoloring)
sudo apt-get install inkscape imagemagick.
For App/ScriptIf you are using GNOME-based desktop (e.g. Ubuntu), the following packages are already installed by default, so you can just use the script/app without installing additional packages.
sudo apt-get install bash zenity.
zonColor Themes Pack 1.1
- 1.1 (2013-01-15) ==> More info/screenshots
- Added "Ubuntu Phone" wallpaper + color variants + template.
- Added "start-here" icons + changer script, some presets.
- Fixed text-color on non-GTK w/ dark color scheme, other fixes.
- Removed unneeded codes, updated documentation/README files.
- 1.0.5 (2013-01-05) ==> More info/screenshots
- GTK-color-scheme support Xfce 4.10 (Xubuntu 12.10)
- Xfwm themes zoncolorLittle, zoncolorXtra-Cupertino
- Added icons: go-home, etc
- Added reset script into main folder.
- Updated documentation/README files.
- 1.0 (2013-01-01)
- Initial release
If you like this project or the themes/app, please, please consider donating.
Send donation via PayPal to: zonsbox at gmail.com
Donation of any amount will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your kind support.
Install/Uninstall zonColor Themes/App
Please see README files before using zonColor
First of all, if you just want to install or use zonColor themes (but WITHOUT customization), you don't have to use any of zonColor scripts/app provided in this pack. You can always install/enable themes usual way:
- Extract downloaded archive.
- Browse 'zoncolor' folder within the extracted folder. There you can find many gtk-themes, icon-themes, wallpapers.
- Copy gtk-themes into
~/.themes, icon-themes into
~/.icons, wallpaper images into wherever location you want.
- Use an appearance preferences utility app like GNOME Tweak Tool to enable theme.
Note that you need to use zonColor app/script to customize themes, either by installing it and then launch the app or by executing zoncolor.sh script (located in 'zoncolor' folder) directly.
You can use installation script provided, to install/uninstall zonColor-Themes-Pack (including themes and app). When you run the installation script, it should show you a dialog window which lets you install zonColor themes and/or app (or uninstall previous installation).
If you want to uninstall zonColor themes, it is recommended to run the RESET utility (should be in the main folder or in 'zoncolor' folder) first before uninstalling, especially if you are still using a zonColor theme.
If you are using GNOME-based desktop (e.g. Ubuntu), you can enable a "theme-set" config straight away without installing zonColor app, by executing "zoncolor.sh" script located in 'zoncolor' folder and then select a zonColor config file (*.zcfg file).
LicensezonColor is licensed under GNU GPL version 3 or later.
CreditsSpecial thanks to the following projects team for their awesome themes and their hardwork:
- GNOME-Colors by GNOME Colors Team.
- Oxygen Icon Theme by Oxygen Team.
- Light Themes by Ubuntu Team/Canonical.
- zonColor on gnome-look.org:
- zonColor on Google Code: